autosubmit (was: Re: Detailed review of 3.18.3. The command and 3.18.4. the menu elements)

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:39:27 +0200
To: "Mihai Sucan" <mihai.sucan@gmail.com>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:28:36 +0200, Mihai Sucan <mihai.sucan@gmail.com>
wrote:
> 2. I'd like to better understand the autosubmit attribute, defined for
> the menu element.
>
> Why was it defined? What are the use-cases for having a menu which
> automatically submits the form when the user changes input
> type=checkbox|radio?
>
> I can't put into doubt the addition of the attribute - it's definitely
> there for a reason. I'm just curious what's the idea behind it?
>
> Why have the autosubmit attribute on menu elements, instead of, say,
> form elements? I would find the autosubmit attribute more appropriate
> for form elements.

It's there to replace the current <select onchange=location=this.value>
(or something in that direction) hacks found on the internet. Making this
declaritive allows more user control (like with autofocus) and using
<menu> for such constructs seems more appropriate too.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>