International vs Multilingual / Device Independence Re: screen-reader versus self-voicing app (was: Re: Screen-reader behaviour)

Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
<snip>
> this is why this whole thread is a red herring in my opinion -- we cannot
> "break" what was done in the past to promote accessibility, useability,
> internationalization and device independence, nor should we be bound to
> putting old wine into new bottles -- where superior mechanisms are
> available, they should be implemented, but those mechanisms implemented in
> HTML 4.01 specifically for accessibility, device independence and internationalization MUST be supported as part of the "backwards compatibility" principle, hence my suggested verbiage for the design
> principle document:
>
>    "Browsers should retain residual markup designed for a specific
>    purpose, such as accessibility. internationalization or device
>    independence. Simply because new technologies and superior
>    mechanisms have been identified, not all of them have been
>    implemented. Moreover, disabled users are more likely to be
>    users of "legacy technology" because it is the only technology
>    that interacts correctly with third-party assistive technologies"
>
> or words to that effect...
<snip>

Would it be possible to substitute multilingual for internationalization?

And HTML rather than Browsers/

Design Principle: HTML will include/support new and historical markup for
specific purposes, such as support for Screen readers, dexterity assistance??,
projectors/infrared/remote control devices, ... and alternate language/script
(multilingual) support, while aiming to preserve Device Independence."

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au