Re: [HDP] Other comments from RI

From: Geoffrey Sneddon <foolistbar@googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 15:29:57 +0100
Cc: public-html@w3.org
To: "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>

On 10 Sep 2007, at 14:53, Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:

>>> Certainly we should continue to support <b> and <i> tags, but we
>>> should encourage people to use <em> and <strong> instead.
>> Merely renaming things and continuing to use them as before does
>> not really solve anything technical.
>
> Henri, you completely miss the point : RI is proposing that users
> create <em> and <strong> elements for /emphasised/ and for
> /strongly emphasised/ stretches of text respectively.

Where does he even state that? He proposes that you use |em| and |
strong| instead of |i| and |b|, completely discarding the other
(valid) use-cases of |i| and |b| (and if you used |em| and |strong|
in those cases, those elements would become even more meaningless
than they already are (as a large number of WYSIWYG editors use |em|
and |strong| for italics and bold respectively, even when the user
doesn't want such semantics)).

- Geoffrey Sneddon