Re: Data Table Collections (Research)

From: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 15:30:02 -0500
Cc: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>

Hi Anne,

On Sep 9, 2007, at 8:40 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 12:43:34 +0200, Anne van Kesteren
> <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>
> At some point in this thread I admitted that scope= was indeed
> redundant in my table per the algorithm given in http://www.w3.org/
> TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.4.3 HTML4. However, the reason the
> scope= attribute was included was not because data cells would not
> be associated with header cells but because header cells would
> otherwise be associated with the wrong headers. (I misremembered
> that.) For instance, following the algorithm of HTML4 in the
> absense of scope= the "Day 2 ..." header would get "Day 1 ..." as
> header.
>
> I suppose this could be circumvented by requiring that headers for
> header cells are directly adjacent to those cells.

The HTML4 algorithm is for associating header cells with data cells.
It doesn't associate header cells with header cells so scope= is not
necessary in your table.  A problem with the HTML4 that the HTML5
inherits is that scope= is a very ambiguous concept in HTML4 and
HTML5. We should probably think about ways of scoping that do not
require the scope attribute as much as possible. The one place I see
scope being needed is to scope corner cells to indicate whether a
corner cell applies to the row, the column, or both. In that case a
header cell would be associated with header cells in the way you
describe, but I don't see that in the HTML4 recommendation.

Take care,
Rob