Re: Data Table Collections (Research)

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:05:12 +0200
To: "Leif Halvard Silli" <lhs@malform.no>, "James Graham" <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 16:15:02 +0200, Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
wrote:
> But then the question comes (actually, it was Rob who said it, in a
> discussion I had with him): is this an accurate interpretaton of the
> HTML4 basic algorithm? That algorithm says «The search in a given
> direction stops when the edge of the table is reached or when a data
> cell is found after a header cell.» So why, then, does the Table
> Inspecor include Day 1 as header for the data cells under Day 2 - what
> is it based on?

That does seem like a bug, indeed. However, the algorithm in HTML4 doesn't
seem to take headers found in <thead> into account which would mean you'd
have to add scope= there if you have subheadings as in my table. I suppose
there could be special rules for <thead> or if there is no <thead> the
first row of the table (if that contains header cells). Probably need to
study more tables to see what the implications are.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>