Re: [html] Semantics of "aside", "header", and "footer"

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 14:16:15 +0200
Cc: public-html@w3.org
To: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>

> > > footer { position: fixed; top:0; }
> > >
> > > Is it still footer or is it header now?
>
> It's a footer. Functionally you might notice this for several reasons:

Couldn't any other element bear this functionality, too, meaning an element that has a different name, but the same or similar semantics?

> "footer" is the most commonly found classname in the Google survey
> by some margin [2].

I know, and yet more people smoke.

For me, the numbers just say “many people equip their documents with something that comes at the end (of an element or even a document)”. Even the way I understand our approach to current HTML use, that doesn't mean that we don't take a closer look at what is used /within/ these elements (labeled “footer” or whatever).

--
Jens Meiert
http://meiert.com/en/