Re: [html] Semantics of "aside", "header", and "footer"

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 13:33:06 +0200
To: public-html@w3.org

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> footer { position: fixed; top:0; }
> Is it still footer or is it header now?

That exactly “made me wonder”.

Robert Burns wrote:
> My view is that simply changing the names of the elements cannot —
> alone — change them into non-presentational elements. More
> importantly, I think we need to think about the semantic contents of
> these parts of the page more systematically.

Agreed, and I didn't intend to “change their names” anyway. It looks like a desirable “semantics update”, too.

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> I disagree that they are presentational. Headers, footers and asides
> are identifiable parts of web documents and indeed non-web documents
> just as much as paragraphs and sections are. Furthermore, it is hard
> to see how they are any more presentational than <tfoot>, <thead>,
> <h1> or <th>.

Obviously, “thead” and “tfoot” play in the same league, but their existence since HTML 4 is certainly a “bonus” […].

Apart from the already mentioned issues, I begin anticipating scenarios like “aside-itis” (the potential “div-ebola” successor) and endless “header” and “footer” discussions (like “a logo placed in the top-left corner must (not) be placed within `header´” wars). Different element names  with adjusted semantics might reduce or prevent that.

Jens Meiert