Re: XSLT and HTML5 (was: Re: Prevalence of ill-formed XHTML)

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 12:44:28 +0900
Cc: public-html WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Liam Quin <liam@w3.org>

Henri, Liam,

Context
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Sep/0164

Henri Sivonen (6 sept. 2007 - 21:36) :
> Doing it this way addresses pretty much all the issues raised about
> using the text/html serialization of HTML5 together with XSLT. With
> the current crop of XSLT processors this entails taking out SAX as
> opposed to bytes from the XSLT processor and plugging in an HTML5
> serializer. I suggest considering the "html" output method of XSLT
> obsolete as of HTML5.

The HTML output method would not be obsolete, except if we were
rescinding HTML 4.01.  Though it might be useful to coordinate  with
the XML Activity and the XSL WG to see if the HTML ouput method
defined in XSLT 2.0 can evolve.

* XSLT 1.0
   http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#section-HTML-Output-Method

* XSLT 2.0