Re: @title's relation to accessibility

From: Sander Tekelenburg <st@isoc.nl>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 14:37:29 +0200
To: <public-html@w3.org>, <wai-xtech@w3.org>

At 08:40 -0400 UTC, on 2007-09-05, David Poehlman wrote:

> What can the html wg do to make browsing on bad browsers better?

Nothing.

But we can try to define HTML5 such that it's likely that next versions of
that browser will be better. Meaning: make HTML5 such that it will actually
be implemented correctly by browser UAs.

> [...] Is there a way to help authors with this type of transform?

Unfortunately authors already apply every trick in the book to cicrumvent
known browser bugs. Thus hiding thise bugs from users, thus users not putting
pressure on the browser vendor to fix those bugs. (Well, this is my view. Not
everybody agrees :))

> Can code prevent uas from doing bad things?

Only in the sense that when as an author you know that a certain construction
triggers a certain browser bug, you can try to use an alternative
construction instead. But in practice that often leads to tricks that in turn
introduce other problems.

--
Sander Tekelenburg