Re: @title's relation to accessibility (was Re: Investigating the proposed alt attribute recommendations in HTML 5)

From: Steve Faulkner <sfaulkner@paciellogroup.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 09:46:49 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org
Cc: wai-xtech@w3.org
sander wrote:

>Hm... I'd never noticed that. But "inspired by concerns for accessibility"
is
>extremely vague. So I still don't see what exactly @title has to do with
>accessibility.

a few instances:

1.Use of the title attribute on frames to describe the purpose of the frames
is a WCAG 1.0 checkpoint.
2. MSAA uses the title attribute value for the name property on images, form
controls (if the control does not have a text label programmatically
associated with it)
3. The WAI - ARIA spec uses the the title attribute for the nameref
property;

http://www.w3.org/TR/aria-role/#relationships

"nameRef

Computational mechanism for determine the accessible name of the object to
which the role applies. This may be computed from the children of the object
or* the title attribute*."

4. screen readers such as jaws or window eyes make use of the title
attribute when images and form controls do not have alt text or
programmatically associated text labels.

--
with regards

Steve Faulkner
Technical Director - TPG Europe