Re: Prevalence of ill-formed XHTML

From: Dean Edridge <dean@55.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 18:06:12 +1200
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com>
Cc: Philip Taylor <philip@zaynar.demon.co.uk>, Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>, "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>

Sam Ruby wrote:
> Simply put, Appendix C is out-dated, if in fact, it ever was correct.
> It might be instructive to look at an actual use case:
>   http://people.w3.org/mike/planet/html5/
> That page, by virtue of the software that produces it, is consistently
> well formed (I'm assuming that it is based on an XSLT template that I
> produced), but it is currently being served by as text/html.
> I'll assert that the subset of HTML and XHTML that that page uses is
> useful.
> One question that this workgroup could choose to tackle: is it in our
> best interests to increase or decrease that subset?
> - Sam Ruby
Hi Sam,
I don't have a major problem with that page [1]. I do think the <br />'s
and <meta ....../>'s are a bit ugly though, and may cause novices to
think that they are using XHTML 5. However if this makes it easier for
people to switch between HTML 5 and XHTML 5 that's fine. However I don't
like that syntax myself and I'll stick with my content negotiation
script thanks.

All I'm saying is that documents like this, when being sent as
"text/html", are in fact HTML 5 documents and not XHTML 5 documents.

[1] http://people.w3.org/mike/planet/html5/

Dean Edridge