Re: Meeting with SVG, XHTML, WAI people to move forward on ARIA as a cross cutting technology

I suppose there is a first time for everything ... and in this
case I must agree with Ian --- '_' in attr names are ugly.
Ugliness not withstanding, I dont believe we need go down the
ugliness of inventing a second namespacing mechanism because some
dont like the current one; --- the current namespacing mechanism
wont go away, and the world will be left to contend with twice
the ugliness that pervades at present --- and worse, where that
ugliness comes in multiple flavors.

(Bertie Bots every flavored namespaces)

Ian Hickson writes:

 > On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Henri Sivonen wrote:
 > >
 > > I think we should figure out a clean way to do ARIA in particular and
 > > not to try to establish a new generalized namespacing mechanism.
 >
 > I agree, and it's not clear to me how we even ended up considering a new
 > generalized namespacing mechanism here.
 >
 > I consider the use of an underscore in the "aria" attribute names to be
 > unacceptable from an HTML5 point of view, for the reasons I detailed in my
 > last e-mail in this thread. I have not seen any rational and valid
 > arguments against using the hyphen. I would also be happy with no
 > delimiter at all (ariadisabled, ariachecked).
 >

 > On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
 > >
 > > underscore works fine too and we don't run into the hyphen problem in
 > > SVG.
 >
 > The underscore _doesn't_ work fine too, for the reasons I listed in my
 > earlier e-mail in this thread. On the other hand, the hyphen works
 > absolutely fine in SVG, indeed it is how SVG works in general -- almost
 > all its attributes are hyphen separated! Any attributes we add to that
 > namespace *should* use hyphens specifically for that reason.
 >
 > --

Best Regards,
--raman

Title:  Research Scientist