Re: Justification for the cite attribute on ins&del

Karl Dubost wrote:

>     "The cite attribute may be used to specify a URI
>     that explains the change. When that document is
>     long, for instance the minutes of a meeting,
>     authors are encouraged to include a fragment
>     identifier pointing to the specific part of that
>     document that discusses the change."
>
> Proposal
>
>     "The cite attribute may be used to specify a URI
>     that explains the change. Authoring tools and CMS
>     (ex. wiki, weblogs, cvslog) can link to a
>     document explaining the changes. When that
>     document is long, for instance the minutes of a
>     meeting, authors or authoring tools are
>     encouraged to include a fragment identifier
>     pointing to the specific part of that document
>     that discusses the change."
>
> Example:
> In the wikipedia article about Venus, differences could be shown with
> ins and del and gives a pointer to the message "(added NASA image)".
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Venus&diff=293914&oldid=293913

Is there a reason this would be better than a plain <a>, perhaps as the
child of the <ins> or <del> elements? I can see several advantages of
using <a> - principally that it is well understood by all UAs - and no
obvious disadvantages.

--
"Mixed up signals
Bullet train