Re: Hierarchies with tabular data...

James Graham wrote:
> Nathan Youngman wrote:
>> I would describe a hierarchical table as [...] a tree of data that also
>> has columns.
> I believe this is the kind of use-case that is supposed to be addressed by
> the <datagrid> element [1].
>
> [1] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#datagrid

That's an interactive form element:

[[[
The datagrid element represents an interactive representation of tree, list,
or tabular data.
]]]

So is it suitable for presenting data? It seems to need rather a lot of
markup to populate it without scripting. It is quite different from how
authors are currently making hierarchical tables in HTML, too. The
degradation in pre-HTML5 UAs looks like it will be quite undesirable
compared to <table>, which already works.

Making existing content natively accessible would give a more immediate
improvement to users than requiring all these tables to be rebuilt. If we
can't do that, we should try to make the retrofitting as straightforward and
non-destructive as possible otherwise authors simply won't do it.

It looks like a great solution for filling in complex forms, though. :-)

--
Ben 'Cerbera' Millard
Collections of Interesting Data Tables