Re: Hierarchies with tabular data...

You'll find some supporting cases and related discussion in this
thread: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Aug/0428.html

It is about "nested row headers" - I think it is the same issue of how
to represent a hierarchy within a table.

It is a common need, anytime there is aggregate data mixed in with its
components. Folders and files are one example of this; anything with
money that includes totals (maybe even subtotals) and individual items
(e.g. receipt, invoice, budget); any stats. You can get by with tfoot
in cases where the hierarchy nothing more than a parent-child (or
aggregate-item) relationship. For example, a receipt with items and a
total can be managed with tbody (multiple tr for items) and tfoot for
totals. But if the complexity goes up and you want to include
subtotals as well (another level in the hierarchy) there's no clear
HTML to define this (I use classes).

cheers
Ben