Re: SVG in text/html

Hi, David-

Please don't derail what is a very productive, practical discussion with
ideological rants about the nature, purpose, and quality of XML.  All
this can accomplish is starting a flame war that none of us have time for.

The case of SVG in XHTML is very clear and obvious, and the details are
being worked out in the CDF WG.  Because they are both XML, they blend
together neatly.

What we are talking about here is something very different --the
blending of 2 different species of markup-- and therefore has different
constraints.  SVG in plain old HTML has many pragmatic use cases, and we
are trying to work out what challenges it will face and how to solve
them in a way that it Just Works for authors.

As regards cross-posting, I think it needs to be done to make sure that
all interested parties can coordinate on the issue.  The CDF, SVG, HTML
WGs all have a stake in this.  I think a lack of such cooperation and
collaboration has gotten us into a lot of trouble that could have been
solved by establishing clear channels of communication early on.

Finally, Sam was not attacking XML, as you insinuate.  He was presenting
facts about challenges SVG-in-HTML faces.

XML is OK.  HTML is OK.  They should kiss and make up.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Staff Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI