Re: Hierarchies with tabular data...

Ben 'Cerbera' Millard wrote:

> Peter Krantz wrote:
>> Currently tree tables in HTML < 5 are created in various ways. I have
>> seen them done by server generating tables in tables and positioned
>> divs with javascript. One thing these solutions have in common is that
>> the markup does not reflect the relationships between items.
>
> These are the things we need links to. Pictures of operating systems
> where the interface is built without using HTML are less relevant than
> actual use cases of heirarchical tables published in HTML.
>
> My ongoing research into tables as used on the web (see signature) have
> found heirarchical tables do exist in HTML. Sometimes it is left to
> indention to indicate the heirarchy, sometimes empty cells are inserted,
> sometimes headers+id are used in an attempt to "patch up" the HTML4
> header search algorithm.
>
> Sadly, many of the heirarchical tables I found were fossilised in PDFs
> or buried in ASCII art. Perhaps they would be HTML if the authors had an
> authoring tool which made it easy? I have not e-mailed their authors
> about this but everyone is free to help spread the workload.
>
> --
> Ben 'Cerbera' Millard
> Collections of Interesting Data Tables
> <http://sitesurgeon.co.uk/tables/readme.html>

I am not sure what "hierarchical table" means exactly.
In any case here is a table that describes Harmonia's (my GUI toolkit
for the D language) tree of classes (hierarchy per se):
http://harmonia.terrainformatica.com/map.html

Document created by using my WYSIWYG editor as by hand it is hard to
maintain such html.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com