Re: Latest proposal for offline web app API (and SMIL 3 state?)

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 10:36 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:

> Based on discussions in response to previous proposals in this and other
> forums, I have written a new proposal for offline web app APIs.
[...]

A couple weeks ago the SMIL 3 last call working draft crossed
my desk; it has a State section...

[[
The modules in this section provide a mechanism whereby the document
author can create more complex control flow than what SMIL provides
through the timing and content control modules, without having to go all
the way of using a scripting language. One way to provide this is to
allow a document to have some explicit state (think: variables) along
with ways to modify, use and save this state.

In addition, the mechanisms that the SMIL BasicContentControl and
CustomTestAttributes modules provide for testing values are limited:
basically one can only test for predefined conditions being true (not
for them being false) and there is a limited form of testing for
multiple conditions with "and" being the only boolean operator.

Application areas include things like quizzes, interactive adaptation of
presentations to user preferences, computer-aided instruction and
distant learning.
]]
 section 15. SMIL 3.0 State
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-SMIL3-20070713/smil-state.html

I'm not sure how or whether that overlaps with HTML design
sketches in functionality; I'd appreciate it if a few people
would take a look and report their findings...

"The Last Call review period for this document extends until 14
September 2007. The public is invited to send comments or report errors
on this document. Please send them to the public mailing www-smil@w3.org
- (public archives) including the prefix'[SMIL30 LC comment]' in the
subject line."
 -- http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-SMIL3-20070713/