Streaming vs Video Download was Re: <video> element feedback

In <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Oct/0082.html> Ian
Hickson wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Gareth Hay wrote:
>>
>> In this case, there is a big difference between streamed data, which can
>> be played from various positions, and non-streamed data which requires a
>> complete download, or at least the start of the file.
>>
>> Perhaps there should be some reflection of this in the tag?
>
> It's not clear to me what we should do.

It would be ideal if an image (ideally first frame of video) was displayed and
the reader could make an informed decision to optional play (download file),
sample live stream (broadcast) or sample, section of prerecorded  material.

There are three cases for video and audio:

a) Podcast model/Download entire file - this is more akin to an image, which by
the way I would like to see a size/optional download for. Then the viewer would
interpret the file. Couple of examples here
<http://www.ramin.com.au/linux/acs-os-sig.html#slide6>

b) Streaming of pre-recorded material see an example here

c) Streaming live material/video conference. examples
http://www.cbc.ca/livemedia/cbcr1-toronto.m3u
http://www.cbc.ca/livemedia/cbcr2-toronto.m3u
http://ms2.radio-canada.ca/EspaceMusique.ogg

Marghanita