Re: HTML 5 Authoring Guidelines Proposal

Julian Reschke wrote:

> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> e.g. When describing the script element, I'll explain the use of
>> ... HTML comments intended to hide scripts from older browsers,
>>
>> http://lachy.id.au/log/2005/05/script-comments
>
> Does it really make sense to still promote that? Back then (2,5 years
> ago) you wrote:
>
> "It should be noted that there are no user agents in use today that
> don’t support the script element (regardless of whether they support the
> actual script or not),  so using this technique on the web today seems
> rather superfluous. Yet it’s interesting to note that so many sites
> still make use of this old technique that was designed for accessibility
> reasons, despite the fact that so many of these sites choke in many
> other ways in browsers with scripts disabled or unsupported."
>
> ...so it seems to me that it's really only relevant as historic
> information, and wouldn't belong into HTML5 related material...

Exactly.  I meant that I would explain it as something that should not
be done, since I consider it bad practice these days.  However, you're
probably right.  Maybe it's better to just talk about what authors
should do rather than what they shouldn't do in this case.  I can always
include that article as a reference for further reading.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/