Re: Feedback on "Offline Web Applications" (Editor's Draft 17 November 2007)

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> But not with things like InputStreamReader, right? So sorry, I still
>> believe that the requirement to support single CRs introduces
>> completely useless complexity. (As the introduction of a new
>> text-based format anyway.)
>
> For browser-hosted implementations, it's easier if newline rules are
> consistent between different text-based formats. This argues for
> allowing CR in this format.

I simply don't buy that this is sufficient reason to violate the base
RFC. This is a new MIME type, not text/html. If you don't want to obey
the text/* rules, use application/*. (for instance, that was done for
the Relax NG Compact format --
http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/relax-ng-compact-syntax).

That being said, I am now confused about what the "willful double
violation of RFC2046" actually is, and I think this needs to be explained.

I also have to note that while the format allows single-CR as line
terminator (which I think is obscure), it doesn't allow a leading BOM
(something that you'll get when you edit an UTF-8 encoded text file with
Notepad).

BR, Julian