RE: Whitespace before <head>

From: Boris Zbarsky [mailto:bzbarsky@MIT.EDU]
>Chris, last I checked styling a node with "white-space: pre" will actually
>change the DOM in Trident (Text nodes that didn't use to be there will appear).

Ah, I see what you're after.  Yes, we do change the DOM, because the expectation we'd set ourselves up for when we collapsed:

"<div>
Test

"Test"
In the rendering was that the contents just said "Test" as a text node.  Perhaps that's something we should change in future (i.e. HTML5), though it was a reasoned decision at the time.

-Chris