Re: Feedback on the ping="" attribute (ISSUE-1)

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 22:19:05 -0600
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

Julian Reschke wrote:
> That's a widely known site that almost everybody knows.

Sure.  So is Google, and the Google front page is hardly representative of the
Web in general.

> Can you point to a widely used site that violates that principle?

I'm pretty sure I've run into issues with this on the BBC news site, at the very
least.

> Should have said "with scripting turned off".

Hold on a second.  If we're talking about typical user expectations, we can't
assume scripting is off.  Quite the contrary.

If we're talking about the typical expectations of users who browse with
scripting turned off, then we have incredible selection bias: those users know a
lot more about how things work than the typical user.  There are also very, very
few of them.

> Well. I think that when we design new protocols or languages, saying
> "it's already broken, let's continue to add more stuff like that" is the
> wrong approach.

All else being equal, yes.  But letting theoretical purity considerations stand
in the way of something useful when the purity is already being violated in the
real world right and left seems a little odd to me...

Of course maybe you have a counterproposal that satisfies you, and I just missed
it.  Is that the case?

-Boris