Re: Feedback on the ping="" attribute (ISSUE-1)

On 11/5/07, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Nov 2007, Mark Baker wrote:
> > You appear to be confusing two different things, Ian.  When we say that
> > an HTTP message is "safe", we're using the word to refer to the meaning
> > of the message.
>
> In that case I don't understand what we are discussing. Could you define
> the terms in more detail?

Are there any specific terms you had in mind?  I think we all
understand what "safe" means.  The problem is, IMO, that we're using
it to refer to different things.

I believe that what is relevant to the issue of the method used by the
ping feature is the meaning of the messages rather than what a server
may or may not do with those messages.  A Web browser works on behalf
of the user and so should ensure that the messages it sends reflects
the user's intent.  When a user clicks a link, their intent is for
(safe) dereferencing to occur.  If an unsafe message is sent in
response to that click, then the user agent is misrepresenting the
user.

Mark.