Re: Unscoped <style> found outside the <head>

From: Bruce Boughton <bruce@bruceboughton.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 12:00:40 +0100
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
CC: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>, "Preston L.Bannister" <preston@bannister.us>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>
Henri Sivonen wrote:

> Actually, in the current draft <style scoped> is only allowed at the
> start of article, aside, div, and section elements.

Does this restriction make sense?  It seems to me the spec is second
guessing why people would want style scoped.  What technical reasons are
there for not allowing it anywhere?  Technology is often used
surprisingly so I would be reluctant to overly restrict something unless
there is strong technical reason to do so.

There is no justification of this restriction in the spec that I can see
[1].  I'll look through the WHATWG list archives.

Bruce

[1] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-style