Do we need the restrictions on the <base> element?

From: Henrik Dvergsdal <henrik.dvergsdal@hibo.no>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 11:55:04 +0200
To: public-html@w3.org

In HTML and the current version of HTML5 documents can only have one
<base> element. In HTML5 his must occur "in a head element, after the
meta element with the charset attribute, if any, but before any other
elements" (http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/
multipage/section-document.html#the-base).

I wonder if this restriction is really necessary. Why not deprecate
<base> and replace it with a "base" attribute that sets the base for
an element and all its children? Could even be cascading in the sense
that it could be possible to specify the base of a child relative to
the parent base.

Typical use case:

Hand coded page with a download section in which one needs to change
the download directory frequently due to versioning:

..

--
Henrik Dvergsdal