Re: Unscoped <style> found outside the <head>

An unscoped <style> applies to the entire document.  There's no point
in placing a <style> element in some random place in the <body>,
since the style rules added will apply to the whole document.  This
is very bad practice, since an incremental display of a document will
have to rewind and re-evaluate style on everything seen so far.  If
the elements are in the <head>, then this re-evaluation doesn't have
to occur.

Some browsers (and I'm not endorsing this, but just pointing it out
because this is the end effect achieved anyway) actually move <style>
elements encountered in the <body> into the <head> during parsing.

dave