Re: Tutorials (was Paving Cowpaths)

From: Debi Orton <oradnio@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 12:55:47 -0400
To: public-html@w3.org

At 10:14 AM 5/24/2007, Laura Carlson wrote:

>Another persona link:
>
>Scenarios of People with Disabilities Using the Web
>http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/PWD-Use-Web/#usage
>
>Laura
>--
>Laura L. Carlson
>Information Technology Systems and Services
>University of Minnesota Duluth
>Duluth, MN U.S.A. 55812-3009
>http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/webdesign/

The page you've referenced was very successful in the early days of
our accessibility efforts in New York State.  It showed people why
doing things in an accessible way mattered, and after that, it was
just a matter of developing resources to show them how.

Similarly, I think that a large factor in the successful adoption of
HTML 5 is not going to be technology-related.   It's going to be
developing a public relations campaign, just as was needed to get
accessibility off the ground.

The HTML 5 tutorials will not only need to explain any new features
-- and explain old features NOT carried forward and why -- but will
need to convince the developers that switching will give them some
tangible advantage.

Debi Orton / oradnio@gmail.com