Re: Paving Cowpaths

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Wed, 23 May 2007 15:11:42 +0200, Philip Taylor (Webmaster)
> <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote:
>> Simon Wiffen wrote:
>>> Whoops, meant to reply all on this
>>> ---
>>>  Hmm well I've been working commercially for 9 years and I hand code
>>> in a text editor including hand coding elements such as ampersands,
>>> as do my colleagues so I wouldn't assume that this statement is
>>> accurate.
>>
>> And the code that you and your colleagues produce is nice,
>> which is good to see.  Sadly you are an endangered minority ...
>
> What do you base that on?

I believe HTML is so widely used that we cannot classify how it is
written as being a minority, since even if it were true statistically,
it would be likely that the so called minority would contain a huge
number of people.

It is my experience that a lot of HTML is hand-written --- some of it is
well-formed and adheres to the spec and some of it doesn't.  Likewise
much HTML is generated, either by a program on the user's computer, such
as Dreamweaver, by a web-based content management system, such as blog
software, or by a web-based formatting language, such as BBCode or Textile.

We need to embrace all methods of authoring code.  Sadly this is what
makes this group's work so complex.

Bruce