Re: 'role' should be property

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 23:53:50 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org

Mark Birbeck wrote:

> One is much more likely to want to say 'the third div is the footer'
> or that 'certain spans are check-boxes', than to have to put @role on
> each element.

I'd posit that it's more likely that an author might want to specify the
role of any particular piece of content while they're actually authoring
the content itself, i.e. the HTML. They write the content, then say
"this is the footer".

> The properties set by CSS rules are available via the DOM anyway, so
> there is nothing to say that CSS must be about styling.

Apart from the fact that CSS stands for Cascading *Style Sheets*

"Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is a simple mechanism for adding style
(e.g. fonts, colors, spacing) to Web documents"
http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/

Style...not content characteristics (such as role)...

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/
http://streetteam.webstandards.org/