Re: Proposal: Chained Classnames

Dão Gottwald wrote:

> The discussion is about defining semantics for certain classes, which is
> utterly unrelated to default style sheets.

How /can/ it be "utterly unrelated" ?  When I associate one or more
elements with a given class, I am (if I use markup correctly)
ascribing certain semantics to those elements.  In my style-sheet,
I will then provide rules which indicate how I would like elements
with those semantics to be rendered.  If someone then comes along
and re-defines the semantics of a class that I am already using,
I either have to re-write my document to use a different class,
/and/ re-write my style-sheet(s) to match, or I have to accept
that the semantics that I intended have been replaced by (possibly
very) different semantics, yet the rendering remains identical
to the rendering I intended for my original semantics.  Neither
of these situations is acceptable, IMHO.

Philip Taylor