Re: Proposal: Chained Classnames (was: Extension Mechanism for HTML)

On 5/15/07, Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org> wrote:

> I believe IE 6 also has a bug with CSS selectors which use multiple
> class names as well. <sigh>

Indeed. I have located the IRC log which discusses IE6's behavior (in
short, Zeros (Elliot) says that

*] IE6 sees .foo.bar.baz {} as .baz {}
*] So it'd work, sort of. It'd just have unexpected behavior if you
also had a .copyright elsewhere

Indeed, in practice, most authors would not need to style only the
semantic content (if they're already styling it anyway), they would
simply add a space + "html5" to their existing markup to indicate that
the content was semantic.

Updated: http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ProposalChainedClassnames

The proposal is updated to include this information and links on
background to alternatives, including role attribute, prefix
discussion, and so on by Rene Saaroo.

I will continue to update with new data as needed. Please remember
that I am not strongly advocating the need or cowpathness of this
feature, but offering more options towards solving the problem -- I
don't believe that prefixes or role= are slamdunk (clear) solutions
for reasons others have already stated.

Best,
Charles