Re: Applicable elements for predefined classnames

From: Rene Saarsoo <nene@triin.net>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 13:47:35 +0300
To: public-html@w3.org

Matthew Raymond wrote:
> I don't think that's the case. While people don't commonly invent new
> elements, they use all sorts of arbitrary values for the |rel|
> attribute, especially for microformats.

This is quite different from making up your own class names.
If I make up my own class name, there is direct benefit -
I can use it in my CSS file as a class selector.

When I make up my own @rel value, there is no benefit at all.
Only when there exists some technology, that makes use of
this new @rel value, then will people start using it.

Additionaly, when people come up with new value for @rel,
then we can assume, that almost everyone will use it to
mean the same thing. No-one would use rel=nofollow to mean
something different than "search engines, don't follow this
link".

--
Rene Saarsoo