Re: HTML:html@profile

Murray Maloney wrote:
> The profile at http://www.muzmo.com/profiles/book.html is not complete.
> In particular, I have only spec'd REL/REV values, but you can easily infer
> the corresponding CLASS definitions. I will flesh this out a bit if anybody
> thinks that it is worth considering as an example profile.
>
> However, please consider:

>     <head > ...

The profile attribute (which was actually defined for the head element
in HTML4) is, in practice, useless.

Microformats defined profile URIs for many of their formats.  But in
practice, there are many sites that don't bother using them properly, if
at all, and more importantly, there are also many tools available that
are able to work with the microformats, without even checking if it's
present.

So such real world usage and implementation experience indicates that
the profile attribute is not necessary, and so it shouldn't be included
in HTML5.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/