Re: Extension Mechanism for HTML

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 10:32:34 -0700
To: Rene Saarsoo <nene@triin.net>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

Rene Saarsoo wrote:
> As I see, it's now the question: do we need all the advantages of
> @role although it has some additional complexites, or shall we
> settle with simpler (but maybe too simplistic) predefined classnames?

Like I've suggested before, why not have both. That way people can use
the simple syntax of @class as long as the predefined classes we have
defined are enough, and you get all benefits of @class that you listed.
And if you want to express more complex semantics or define your own
taxonomies you can do that by using the @role attribute.

The downside of doing this is that implementations that want to extract
the semantic meaning from a page will have to look at two attributes.
However compared to the complexities of @role, also looking at @class is
very little extra overhead.

/ Jonas