Re: Cleaning House

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 23:51:33 +0100
To: Dão Gottwald <dao@design-noir.de>
CC: www-html@w3.org, public-html@w3.org

Dão Gottwald wrote:
> Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis schrieb:
>> If AT had better support for CSS, and CSS had style selectors, we'd be
>> in a slightly happier place:
>
> Ah, style selectors once again ...
>
>   :style("font-style:normal") {
>     font-style: italic;
>   }
>   :style("font-style:italic") {
>     font-style: normal;
>   }
>
> See what happens?

Hmm. Wouldn't that only be problematic if an equal weight has to be
given to both rules? I'd say the second rule would take precedence, such
that all text styled italic would be styled normal. In other words:

A is now B.

B is now A.

So we are back at A, like a chameleon.

Alternatively, one could require UAs to ignore self-contradictory
property declarations used with style selectors.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis