Re: Cleaning House

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 00:35:45 +0200
Cc: public-html@w3.org, Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>
To: W3C HTML <www-html@w3.org>

Murray Maloney:
> Will somebody help me out here? I don't know how I can be any clearer
> about fact that italic and bold are merely forms of emphasis,

They are phenomena of emphasis. They're not emphases themselves.

On a print-out you cannot distinguish a phrase italicised for some
reason from a phrase emphasised through italics, at least not without
taking the context into account. In markup you can.

They aren't quite, although they're often perceived like that.