Re: Cleaning House

From: Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 14:01:16 +0200
To: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.co.uk>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Philip & Le Khanh <Philip-and-LeKhanh@royal-tunbridge-wells.org>, www-html@w3.org, public-html@w3.org

On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 12:52:26PM +0100, James Graham wrote:

> >  But I'd love to see anyone write a serious dictionary by simply
> >  and mechanically taking down whatever people say and then suggest
> >  everyone else should use it to learn to communicate ...
>
> "The aim of the OED is to provide a record of how the English language
> is and has been used in writing and in speech. Whether a word is new or
> long obsolete, its meaning can only be determined by looking at examples
> of it in use.
>
> The first step in creating or revising an entry is therefore to collect
> evidence of words and phrases in use from all over the English-speaking
> world." [1]

  Indeed. See my use of the word "mechanically" above. This is exactly
  why I said to add a taxonomy element to HTML 5 - for authors clearly
  want it.

  But the OED, as I believe you would be hard pressed to deny, does
  not simply toss everything and anything they find into the dictionary
  without some rather careful consideration.

  Luckily.

--
 - Tina Holmboe