Re: Formal Objection to Questions 1 and 2; Abstention on Question 3

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 02:27:33 -0700
To: "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>
CC: W3C HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
> Clarification of Objections:
>    * Reasons Why HTML 4.01 Strict Should Remain
>      the HTML WG's Foundation Document
>
> Since the first deliverable listed in the HTML WG's Charter clearly
> states,
>
> <q
> cite="http://www.w3.org/2007/03/HTML-WG-charter.html#deliverables">
> * A language evolved from HTML4 for describing the semantics of
>   documents and applications on the World Wide Web. This will
>   be a complete specification, not a delta specification.
> </q>

Hmm.. come to think of it. It's quite a pity that that is what the
charter says. Would have been better to say that the language should
have been based on the markup that is currently used on the internet.
Too bad we didn't think of that earlier.

Personally I'm much more interested in dealing with the HTML language
that people use on the web today, not with the hypothetical language
that is in the HTML4 spec.

FWIW, the WA1 doc is derived from the HTML4 spec, but I don't suppose
that will make you feel any better..

/ Jonas