Re: Support Existing Content

On 5 May 2007, at 13:43, Gareth Hay wrote:

>>> I don't think this is the case at all. As there would be fewer
>>> ways to incorrectly do things, and a defined correct way, it will
>>> be /easier/ to learn.
>>> No more learning conditional comments, no more having to remember
>>> how to do things in 5 different browsers.
>>
>> Is your main concern that it will be hard to learn to *write*
>> HTML5 unless we have draconian error handling?
>>
>> If so, you can always use the XML (XHTML) which has draconian
>> error handling. As a bonus it also has much simpler parsing rules.
>> And it gives you exactly the same feature set as if you used HTML
>> syntax for the markup.
>>
>> Does that solve your concern?
>>
> No.
>
> I don't want to keep responding to posters who are clearly trying
> to turn my argument into something else to fit their argument.

Then what _is_ your argument? That we should only have an XML
serialisation? That the "class HTML" serialisation should have
draconian error handling (this goes against one of the in-scope
deliverables, as it says it should be compatible with "classic HTML"
parsers of existing browsers)?

On 5 May 2007, at 13:42, Gareth Hay wrote:

> On 5 May 2007, at 13:02, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>
>> I'm sorry, but have you actually used these two languages? They
>> are vastly different. One enforces type safety, the other does
>> not. One requires that you declare variables, the other does not.
>> One does memory management for you, the other does not. One
>> supports objects, the other does not.
>>
>> The only thing that is similar between them is some of the
>> statment syntax and the fact that they both use {} to declare blocks.
>
> Every day my friend.
> I find it amusing when people make this sort of statement as it is
> usually them that have never used the two languages to any extent.
> And indeed my statement of similarity was in response to your
> ridiculous statement

A developer of Gecko doesn't use C or Javascript to any extent? I
find that hard to believe.

- Geoffrey Sneddon