Re: Getting beyond the ping pong match (was RE: Cleaning House)

Dão Gottwald wrote:

> Jonas Sicking schrieb:
>> Dão Gottwald wrote:

>>> Umm. You consider enriching the semantics of markup "by accident" a
>>> bug, not a feature? Even if the author added class="copyright" for
>>> styling purposes, what's the problem with telling the user agent and
>>> thereby the user that there's copyright information?
>>
>> It's fine if it happens to be the right semantic, sure. But it's very
>> likely that they'll add that to elements that has an entierly
>> different meaning, thereby adding the wrong semantic to it.
>
> You're sure that it would be "very likely"? My assumption is that the
> hits would outnumber the false positives by far. "role", on the other
> hand, would probably only be used by authors that care about semantics
> and accessibility.

No, of course I'm not sure. But it does seem likely that it'll be wrong
often enough. I guess it's possible to do a survey today on a number of
sites and see what classnames they are using and how they are used.
Would definitely be interesting.

/ Jonas