RE: Support Existing Content

From: Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 16:04:53 -0700
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com>, Gareth Hay <gazhay@gmail.com>, James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>, "matt@builtfromsource.com" <matt@builtfromsource.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

Before I respond to this thread, I want to clarify two things:
1) I'm not arguing for or against draconian error handling.  I think it has a place (XML), I understand the drawbacks (Maciej laid out the main ones quite well).
2) I have a tremendous amount of respect for Maciej, and the others who've been espousing defining exhaustive error-handling behavior in the spec.

Maciej Stachowiak [mailto:mjs@apple.com] wrote:
>The spec describes what to do with every possible stream of input
>characters.

This seems like an unimaginably arrogant statement to me.  (Now you know why I said the above first.  :) )

-Chris