Re: Support Existing Content

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 12:24:49 +0200
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: Gareth Hay <gazhay@gmail.com>, matt@builtfromsource.com, public-html@w3.org

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> OK, but what's the actual harm of doing so? Can you describe it in
> words? You've said repeatedly that you think nonconforming content is
> really bad, but you haven't once explained how its existence hurts
> anyone, or how wiping it out would help anyone.

It hurts those who want to parse HTML, but do not want to implement a
full user agent (think metadata extraction, microformats, crawling,
indexing...).

Now I understand that what's the well-defined HTML5 parsing is for... So
  this sort of proves to me that the distinction between "conformant"
and "parseable" documents really is meaningless.

Best regards, Julian