Re: Rethinking HTML 5

At 18:08 +0100 UTC, on 2007-05-02, Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:

> On 2 May 2007, at 17:50, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

[...]

>> If we
>> want to see more conforming documents out there, the spec will have
>> to be
>> made as easy to understand for authors (and authoring tool
>> vendors!) as
>> possible.
>
> We do however need enough detail in the specification for
> implementations to be compatible with one-another

Absolutely. That's the most important goal. I'm just saying that if we don't
do our very best to make the spec as easy as possible for authors to
understand, that will likely result in fewer conforming documents.

[...]

>> The past has shown that leaving that up to third-parties is a very,
>> very bad idea: authors will not find the 1 decent tutorial
>> inbetween the 1000s of nonsensical ones.
>
> Why would authors turn to the spec not other tutorials like they
> already do?

Because the spec is the one authorative source. That they rely on crappy
tutorials right now is no doubt at least in part due to the current specs not
being understandable to them.

--
Sander Tekelenburg