Re: Cleaning House

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 12:24:31 -0700
Cc: Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>, "www-html@w3.org" <www-html@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>

On May 3, 2007, at 12:17 PM, Shane McCarron wrote:

> Chris Wilson wrote:
>> Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
>>
>>> Also, as was already hinted at in this thread, it's unlikely that
>>> mainstream browsers will actually implement the draconian
>>> parsing...and
>>> that's fine by me, I wouldn't insist on something like the
>>> "non-well-formed XHTML sent as application/xhtml+xml" error
>>> handling.
>>>

>> Not sure what you mean.  I would insist, if the XHTML were
>> identified with an XML mime type, that it require XML well-
>> formedness.  If I had wanted to "support XHTML" by just piping
>> "application/xml+xhtml" content through our tag-soup parser, I
>> would have done that in IE7.  :)
>>
> Yes, please!!!  Absolutely have IE refuse to process the page if a
> document that claims to be XHTML (anything) is not well formed.
> Please Please Please.  Stop the madness!

All browser implementations that I know of already do this for non-
well-formed XHTML, as identified by the MIME type. IE will
additionally refuse to process documents that claim to be XHTML and
are well-formed. However, it is the case that many mobile browsers
process XHTML as tag soup, due to a lot of mobile walled-garden
content being marked as XHTML Basic when it is not well-formed XML.

Regards,
Maciej