Re: Cleaning House

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 21:14:35 +1000
To: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
CC: www-html@w3.org, public-html@w3.org

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> I don't expect much to happen to HTML, no matter what XHTML or HTML 5
> drafts (and maybe, after many years and struggles, even candidate
> recommendations) will be issued. The idea of creating something that is
> "compatible" with existing bulk of markup _and_ with errors and
> idiosyncracies of browsers, yet extends HTML in essential ways, sounds
> remarkably unrealistic.

It's not unrealistic, it just requires a lot of hard work and
dedication, which we have seen a lot of over the past 3 years in the WHATWG.

> I think it's time to consider something new that does carry all the
> burdens of the past errors and flaws. Learning from the experience
> rather than being bound by it, we could now design a markup language
> suitable for the World Wide Web.

That sounds remarkably close to the approach the XHTML2 WG is taking,
yet few people actually believe that will be successful.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/