From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 21:19:09 +0200
To: "Charles McCathieNevile" <chaals@opera.com>
Cc: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On Wed, 02 May 2007 18:25:07 +0200, Charles McCathieNevile
<chaals@opera.com> wrote:
>> I'm aware how headers= works. I don't think your use case is one where
>> it is needed though. Could you give a concrete example (maybe even in
>> code)?
>
> If you are using a screen reader to explore a table, finding relevant
> headers via the headers attribute has been an important use case for
> some time (as in, years). Unfortunately the more powerful and less
> code-heavy approaches such as the use of scope and axis attributes have
> not had nearly the same level of implementation, so in practical terms
> this attribute is important to accesibility (as in "don't break the
> web").

Yeah, the other use cases given seem to indicate that the default
algorithm for finding table headers and scope= are enough. I suppose
implementing headers= is more trivial given that you don't have to do any
traversal.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>