Re: Testcase for XMP tag

At 11:39 AM 5/1/2007, Laurens Holst wrote:
>Attached you will find a testcase, also mirrored
>on my website[1] (with possibly improvements
>made after this message), which tests the DOM
>and output formed by the <xmp> tag.
>
>This illustrates an inconsistency between
>browsers, where Firefox and IE agree in both DOM
>and rendering, and Opera does not. Iā€™m not
>sure about Safari because as usual, I donā€™t
>have a mac to test. Iā€™m inclined to say that
>Firefox and IE do it correctly here.

Hi Laurens. I did some related experiments a couple of years ago.
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/javascript/showStuff.html

In it IE and Opera seem to agree more than either
agrees with FF. My experiment is rather
complicated so it may not make immediate sense.
Holler if it looks to be worth explaining -- I'm
not really sure, but when somebody gets around to
looking at test cases, perhaps it will prove useful.

The reason for investigating it was that although
I think <xmp> may be deprecated, it seemed, as I
recall that for some purposes it may have been
the only way to display certain kinds of markup
without that markup being intercepted by the
browser, at least for some browsers.

David