Re: Support Existing Content

On Wed, 02 May 2007 10:23:30 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
wrote:
> This doesn't take into account HTML content created from script. It's
> also unclear when you would show an error and how you would handle
> extensibility in this case.

The other assumption "just show an error" makes is that you assume perfect
implementations. I suppose this may be reasonable for XML parsers (though
I'm not sure how many are actually conforming in the face of RFC 30323 and
character encoding stuff), but HTML is already much more complex. (Let
alone CSS.) Also, implementation experience with previous iterations of
HTML should make it clear that this assumption is incorrect. (Besides of
course the many other arguments against this idea as not wanting to show
error messages to the user, etc.)

To be honest, if you like that approach, XHTML2 seems more appropriate.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>