Re: Rethinking HTML 5 (Was: Re: Semicolon after entities)

On Tuesday 01 May 2007 22:36:33 Matthew Ratzloff wrote:
> Nah.  You have a complete document for implementors and a much smaller
> document containing the allowed tags and usage guidelines for content
> authors.  Content authors have no need or desire to view implementation
> details.  They want to know what tags, attributes, and attribute values
> are allowed and what they do.

This sounds a lot like SelfHTML to me, which is a guide for authors and at the
same time tries to report on browser difficulties with any HTML, CSS etc.
elements.
Unfortunately only the German and French editions are being maintained, while
the English one was closed down due to lack of interest. You could look into
that. There are certainly other similar guides as well.

> A second, smaller document detailing the
> changes from HTML 4 would also be helpful to them.

A human-readable diff between major versions of a spec doesn't seem to be
common in other W3C specs. Looking at e.g. WSDL 2.0 and XSD 1.1, the latter
one summarises some differences to XSD 1.0, while the former one doesn't
reference its predecessor at all.
To me it seems like a good idea to have some sort of comparison available to
the older/deprecated version of a spec.

Josef